7/10/2006

TV Show Recaps

Ok, I’m going to post the weekend recap after I get pics from HM. He brought his camera to the lake and we both got a bunch of great shots. I’m also going to crop some of mine too.
So on other topics, here’s the TV I’ve seen lately that’s actually worth writing about:

Chappelle’s Show (New Episodes Sundays on Comedy Central)
I’m glad they are actually able to point fingers at the situation they’re in. It was pretty funny. I like the revenge sketch with Dave. That was funny. Some of the bits didn’t flow as well as previous years. I’m looking forward to other two episodes. Hopefully they got some really good sketches done too. I do like the way that Darnell Rawlins (I think that’s his name) and Charlie Murphy can keep things flowing. They aren’t Dave, but you know they’re not trying to be him. They’re just trying to be themselves.

Rockstar: Supernova (Wednesdays and Thursdays on CBS, I think)
Holy Friggin’ Cow! Supernova has Gilby Clarke on guitar, Tommy “the tripod” Lee on drums, and Jason Newstead on Bass. That’s three of the best rock bands of the late 80s and early 90s represented in one band. Yeah, former members of Guns N’ Roses, Motley Crue, and Metallica are all in that band. I hope that they actually rock though. I know that none of them were the main song writers in their respective bands.
So that blew my mind, but then there were some of the performances. I dug a lot of them but the one that kicked my ass was that Dilana chick. Here’s her backstory according to the short video before her performance:
She grew up in Africa. She was dirt poor. Her mother used to have to beg the neighbors for bread to feed her kids.
Her appearance is frightening to say the least (and also intriguing at the same time). She has piercings all over. There are three studs in her lower lip with the middle one being a piece of metal that looks like a hawk’s talon. She has these green eyes that are absolutely mesmerizing.
Her performance was breathtaking. She did Nirvana’s Lithium. She started out and sang three quarters of the song the exact same way. She stood WITHOUT moving in front of the microphone stand. She stared intently into the camera that was zeroed on her face. The director of the episode would try and cut away to other people, but quickly came back to her as if he was afraid to miss something. They showed Tommy Lee’s face at one point and he looked like he was hypnotized. My roommate and I were both freaked out a little by this. He said that she looked like that Darth Maul character from Star Wars episode 1. We were both commenting on how scary she looked when she busted out for the final verse and danced like a crackhead all around the stage. If you haven’t seen it, try and find it. I am still blown away.
Quickly, I also like the guys who did “Knocking on Heaven’s Door” (Toby Rand from Australia), “She Talks To Angels” (Josh Logan), and “Rebel Yell” (Lukas Rossi from Canada). There was also this 22 year old girl from somewhere down in Georgia named Dana Andrews. She’s a single mother and has made it all the way to LA for this. She sang Melissa Etheridge’s “I’m The Only One” and killed it. I really dug this Canadian girl named Storm Large and her rendition of the Who’s “Pinball Wizard.”
On the second episode from last Thursday, Supernova had Dilana perform and encore of her song. She moved a little more during the performance in front of the microphone stand. But she went nuts. It didn’t have the same effect as the first night, but it was still a badass performance.
They ended up cutting Matt Hoffer after he tried to turn a Duran Duran song (“Planet Earth”) edgy enough and hard enough to survive. Dude, you just went up against a guy who did The Doors’ “L.A. Woman”. Are you really that retarded? These are former members of MOTLEY CRUE, METALLICA, and GUNS N’ ROSES! Do you know nothing about music? Why didn’t you just sing some Boy George and walk away? Wow. And you know what? That didn’t take balls. It just took a lot of stupidity. Ok enough of that. My one other criticism of the show was the band wasn’t edgy enough on LA Woman. It didn’t have the testicular fortitude that The Doors had when they played it. The house band needed to put a little more anger or strength or something like that into it. This isn’t some stupid pop show. This is a rock show and you must rock out when covering The Doors. End of discussion. Don’t make me come to LA and kick your collective asses.
I think the next episode will come on Wednesday with the encore and elimination this Thursday.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Thursdays on FX)
I watched that show last year when it started. It is funny. It involves 3 jerks and the jerk sister of one of them who own a bar in what appears to be a semi-shady area of Philadelphia. The father of the brother and sister (played by Danny DeVito) is divorcing their mother and now wants to be part of the gang. Pretty funny. I really like it, and if you like non-Politically Correct humor, watch it sometime. Wait, if you only like PC humor, why are you reading my blog?

Entourage (Sundays on HBO after Deadwood):
Ok, real quick. Entourage is getting good. I really like what they’re doing with Vince having to fight for what he wants. I loved the quote: “I can’t have my Aquaman doing blow on multi-plexes.” I like the previews for next week too. The studio comes back with $10 million against Vince’s request for $20 or he walks off Aquaman. You know he won’t take it. The first Aquaman that Vince did had James Cameron direct it. Now they have Michael Bay directing it and Kevin Smith writing the script. For those of you who don’t know James Cameron did Titanic. Yeah, I don’t like it either, but he also did Alien and Aliens as well as Abyss and tons of other badass films. He is an incredible director. Now in our fictional Entourage world they have Michael Bay directing the sequel. What does that mean? Well I don’t know what Michael Bay has directed besides Pearl Harbor, or as I’ve always called it “The Hawaiian Love Triangle That the Japanese Decided to Interrupt.” Yeah, as much as Titanic sucked, it was 500 times better than Pearl Harbor. AND they have Kevin Smith writing it. I am assuming here that they are referring to the Kevin Smith of “Mallrats”, “Clerks”, and “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back” fame. I love him. He is a great director and write…for his films. I don’t see him doing well on an Aquaman follow-up to Cameron’s blockbuster which broke Spider-Man’s record. So I say Vince needs to walk and go play Medellin in Colombia with the badass, nut-so director.
But that’s my opinion. It’s getting interesting folks. But I’m gonna jet. Watch over the next day or so for the weekend recap with pictures.


Songs on the Playlist:
Semisonic – Closing Time
Van Halen – Jump
Widespread Panic – Hot In Herre (live Nelly cover)
The Who – Amazing Journey/Sparks (Live at Leeds album)
The Rolling Stones – Stray Cat Blues
Stevie Ray Vaughan – Pride and Joy
The Doors – LA Woman

7 comments:

BOB said...

Dude, seriously, how do you have the time to watch all this tv?? I'll admit that I watch a lot of tv, but damn, you watch more. :)

Philip said...

I record stuff on the DVR and watch it whenever I have time. I still haven't seen Deadwood from last night for example, but I can watch it anytime.

Of course I do miss the days when I had DirecTv and had the Tivo. That was sooooooo much better than the Time Warner DVR.

Anonymous said...

I definately think Supernova is not really a contest.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I have been wanting to see "It's Always Sunny in Philadephia" for WEEKS now...but I usually turn into a pumpkin at 10:00 if I'm not already asleep!

MG said...

ok, so I watched Rock Star last week (I was very impressed with some of the talent on the INXS show) and well, I have to admit, I wasn't impressed.

I'll have to watch again this week and hope for a new view, you've inspired me.

btw... I was so sad to hear you wouldn't do Tequila shots in my honor anymore, what do I have to do get that status back?

once my shot restriction's passed, we should get together and do a jagerbomb... (well, with the proper supervision)

so.....?

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 
eXTReMe Tracker